This Div is a JS Trigger


English Arabic French
English Arabic French

Transportation Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How do I find out my child's bus schedule information?

A: Parents/Guardians can find the information online by logging into BusPlanner .

Q: How do I subscribe to BusPlanner?

A: Go to BusPlanner, click on the "Parent Portal" and follow the instructions to create an account. Watch this introductory video to learn more.

Note: You will need a valid email address and most importantly, your child’s Student ID Number.

Q: How and where is the information submitted to BusPlanner stored?

A: BusPlanner is a Canadian company based in Waterloo, Ontario. The information is stored in a cloud-based system and meets all requirements of the Personal Information International Disclosure Protection Act and the Freedom of Information and Protection of Property Act.

Q: How do I get my child’s student ID?

A: Your child's ID can be found in the following ways:

  • Your child’s report card. The number is on there. It is a 10-digit number.
  • PowerSchool.
  • Calling your child’s school during the school year

Q: How far do I have to live from the school to be eligible for school bus transportation?

A: It depends on the grade:

  • For students in Grades Primary – 6, the distance is 2.4 km or more from the school.
  • For students in Grades 7 – 12, the distance is 3.6 km or more from the school.

Note: Students are assigned to routes based on their transportation address information in PowerSchool. Eligibility for bussing is determined from the student’s transportation address to the school property line (i.e. ‘curb to curb’ as per BusPlanner mapping software).

Q: How do I know if my child is eligible for bussing?

A: Eligibility for bussing can be verified through BusPlanner .

Q: BusPlanner says my child isn’t eligible, I disagree. Who do I contact?

A: You need to contact Stock Transportation at 902-481-8400 regarding concerns of eligibility.

Q: What if I’m still not satisfied after speaking with the transportation provider?

A: Please contact a member of our student transportation team at HRCE. The number is 902-464-2000 ext. 2871

Q: My child is less than 3.6 km/2.4 km from the school, but I think my child should be picked up. What can I do?

A: If there is room on a bus that travels to or from your child's school, it is possible to have this service extended to you. This is known as "courtesy seating."

Q: How can I make a request for courtesy seating?

A: Applications for courtesy seating can be made via the Parent Portal in BusPlanner.

Q: When will I know my child’s route?

A: Routing for the following year is completed by the end of June. Routing can be confirmed by parents/guardians through the parent portal on BusPlanner .

Note: Late Registration occurs in late August each year, which could impact routing. Please confirm your child’s route information before school starts.

Q: How do I know where my stop is?

A: Stop information can be found in from BusPlanner when you verify your child’s route.

Q: How will I be notified if there is a change to my child’s bus route?

A:If you have subscribed to BusPlanner you will automatically be notified by email. Schools will also be notified.

Q: Why can't the school bus pick my child up in front of our house?

A: Safety must always be our first priority. Bus stops are selected using criteria recommended by road safety professionals, that include, for example, a safe distance from stop signs, blind corners, etc. For student safety reasons, school bus drivers cannot stop at locations solely for convenience. The stop must be a designated, safe bus stop.

Q: Can my stop be moved? Can a stop be added?

A: Bus stop requests may be reviewed and can be added or changed provided it meets criteria for student safety. Requests for stop additions or moves can be made via the Parent Portal in BusPlanner . All requests concerning bus stops will be considered by Stock Transportation.

Q: What if my child needs to go to a sitter/daycare/after school program?

A: Alternate stop locations need to be identified through the registration process in PowerSchool. Stock routes are based on the information provided. Bus routing is established based on home address or alternate address information in PowerSchool.

Q: My child wants to go to a friend’s house after school. Can he take a bus that is not his assigned bus?

A: No, this is a safety issue. We are responsible for your child during the school day, and we take that responsibility seriously. We need to know where all students are at all times. All busses have manifests and only students on the manifest can ride on each bus.

Q: Can I request a stop at a different location?

A: Alternate stop locations need to be identified through the registration process in PowerSchool. Stock routes are based on the information provided.

Q: How do I arrange transportation for my child with special needs?

A: If your child has a designated special need, transportation will be provided regardless of the distance you live from school. the administration at your child's school will complete a form requesting special transportation for your child. The form asks for detailed information relating to your child's needs. This information is then directed through HRCE Student Services in order to initiate transportation.

Q: How do I arrange transportation for my child if we are a dual-custody family? 

A: If you are a dual-custody family and your child has more than one custodial residence, please contact us. To ensure accurate information for busing manifests, we need to speak with you directly. Please call 902-464-2000, extension 2871.

Q: If my child has transferred to another school through the Out-of-Area/Out-of-Board process, is transportation provided?

A: Transportation is not provided in this situation. It is the parent’s/guardian’s responsibility to transport their child to school when their child is attending a different school under the Out of Area process. The application form for Out of Area states this. Parent/guardians would have signed the application form with this information on it.

Q: We live inside 3.6 km/2.4 km from school but I don’t feel it’s safe for my child to walk to school. Why can’t I get a bus?

A: We appreciate every situation may be different. Where there is space on the bus, your child may be eligible to receive courtesy seating. You can apply for courtesy seating via the parent portal in BusPlanner .

Q: How do I report a concern related to student transportation?

A: You should report the concern through BusReport, which is an online reporting mechanism. Depending on the severity of the concern, you will receive a response from Stock Transportation within 24-72 hours. If you wish to contact the HRCE, our student transportation staff can be reached at 902-464-2000 ext. 2871.

Q: My child’s bus was late today. Is there any way I can be notified so they aren’t waiting outside?

A: You can follow the progress of your child’s bus using the Where’s My Bus? Web program found in BusPlanner. If you are subscribed to BusPlanner, you will receive email notifications any time there is more than a 15 minute delay with your child’s bus.

Q: My bus is continually late? What’s going to be done about it?

A: Our priority is to ensure students always arrive safely and on time for school. If a bus is late on a regular basis, we will inform Stock Transportation as they may need to do a formal assessment to determine if route times need to be adjusted. You are welcome to report the concern through BusReport which is an online reporting mechanism. Depending on the severity of the concern, you will receive a response from Stock Transportation within 24-72 hours.