Volunteers make a difference!
HRCE values the many roles that volunteers play in our schools.
Parents, guardians, family members and community members who give of their time provide students with enriched learning experiences. As a volunteer, you will also discover the many rewards of helping students achieve their personal best.
Volunteers perform many different tasks in our schools. Some of the more common experiences include:
- Field trips or special events
- Classroom or resource room support
- Site plan committees
- Library support
- Hot lunch program and canteens
- Safe arrival program
- Reading programs
- Assisting with playground supervision
- Assisting teachers with teaching materials
- School beautification
- Communications (telephone committees/newsletters/flyers)
- Health programs
Student safety is paramount
We recognize our responsibility to ensure that all students attending our schools are protected by taking reasonable precautions to screen volunteers who may be working with students without direct supervision of staff. In accordance with Nova Scotia's Provincial Volunteer Background Check Policy, prior to volunteering with the Halifax Regional Centre for Education, all volunteers will provide:
- A completed Child Abuse Register search, which can be found here
- A certified and true copy of a Criminal Records Check with Vulnerable Sector Check available here, from your local Police or RCMP detachment or through online organizations endorsed by Nova Scotia law enforcement agencies
Please note: the Child Abuse Register Search and Criminal Records Check must be issued in the three months preceding volunteering and updated every three years.
Interested in helping out? We would love to have you!
Please connect with your local School Principal.
For more information, please read our Volunteer Handbook.