Welcome to the 2023-24 School Year!
Whether it’s your child’s first year in big school, their graduating year or they are in a grade in between – we are ready to welcome everyone to the 2023-24 school year!
Soon we will open our doors to more than 58,000 (and counting) children at 137 schools. Each year, the Halifax Regional Centre for Education continues to grow! Our current enrolment is already up by more than 1,800 students over last year and we receive new registrations daily.
To accommodate this continued growth, we are using 68 portable and 141 modular classrooms at schools with the fastest growing enrolment. We’ve hired more staff, adjusted bus routes, and we’re opening two new schools: West Bedford School and West Bedford High School. We are changing and adapting constantly to ensure students have comfortable and safe learning environments in which to thrive. Learn more about these changes here.
What do you need to know?
- The first day of school for most students is Thursday, September 7.
- Students attending the new West Bedford Schools and BFEC (Bedford Campus only) will start on Friday, September 8.
- Don’t forget to make note of all other important dates in our school calendar.
- If your child takes the bus, it is important to review their bus stop times and locations through BusPlanner’s Parent Portal. If you have questions, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 902-431-4723.
- Please remember: the first few weeks can be challenging as we adjust to new routines. Please be patient as we get up and running. You may experience bus delays, especially in the early days. There may also be adjustments to classes to accommodate new registrations and meet class cap guidelines by the end of September.
Questions? Reach out!
If you have questions or concerns about your child, please contact their teacher first and then, if needed, the school principal. If you require further support, please reach out to our Parent Navigators at email@example.com or 902-464-2000. Our team is ready to support you and your family.
Happy new year!
All the Best,
Regional Executive Director
Halifax Regional Centre for Education